Title - Should I stay or go?
Some pointers that I've got are:
1. Why did you want to leave?
2. What would make you stay?
On Why did you want to leave
- Try to air any concerns with your manager before it affects your work fulfillment or morale.
- If you can see scope to overcome these issues and your motivation for leaving is beyond just a salary increase, accepting a counter offer could actually end up being a great opportunity for your career.
- But if no commitment is made to address the issues that led you to enter the job market initially, then, in the interests of your career advancement, it might be best to thank your boss for the offer and move on.
On What would make you stay
- Look at the key factors that led you to look at roles with other organizations in the first place. In general, most candidates look for new roles when they no longer feel challenged in their current role, are no longer developing their skill set, have been overlooked for a promotion, or would like to simply earn more. In such instances, you need to ask yourself if your job satisfaction or career development needs will be met if you accept the offer.
- Will I still feel valued by my current employer though the counter offer appears to only be made as a result of my potentially leaving the company?
- Will I be able to overcome the issues that initially led me to resign if I accept the counter offer?
- Have I drawn up a 'pros and cons' list for both employers.
- Can other incentives such as training or memberships be added to the counter offer to make it more attractive?
- Which organisation will provide me with better long term career growth potential and opportunities?
Yours,
Something Small Thinking Big
No comments:
Post a Comment